Sunday, September 7, 2008

Home

Just got home from being home for 2 weeks. On the short red-eye back on Thursday night, during which I got about 70 mins sleep - if that! - I spent some time thinking about home.

Home: New Hampshire
A place where I can have a massage and other spa treatments with Mom, golf with Dad, golf with Julie, visit with Grammie & Aunt El, eat crab rolls, lobster, and fried clams, see the Krueger clan, be cared for by Mom & Dad when I'm not feeling well (and even when I am!). You can go home!

Home: NYC
If you asked me 5 years ago, here on the 5th anniversary to the week of our move to the city, if New York would feel like home, I'd have said no. But where else could I, on 24 hours' or sometimes 30 mins' notice, have sushi in Midtown West with Rachel, go shopping in Union Square with Veronica, have veggie loaf in Brooklyn with Greg & Kaity, brunch in Chelsea with the Weinsteins & Larry, lunch in the Village with Carrie, play Apples to Apples in Midtown East with Hal, Lisa, Rachel, Craig, and Jen, go to Nobu in TriBeCa with Nicole, and call Jill for a last-minute place to crash in Jersey. Even without a home, I was home!

Home: Englewood Cliffs, NJ
No kidding. You spend more time with work folks than loved ones, and when you're lucky enough to truly like the people you work with, it doesn't necessarily feel like work... more like a big project you're working on with friends.

Home: London
Well, they say home is where the heart is, which is why the locales above qualify as home. But of course, that makes the flat at 5 Shelgate the truest home of all.

No comments: