Saturday, January 22, 2011

Is Cape Town a Safe Town?


I have been a little anxious about visiting Cape Town, not because of the warnings in the guide books, but because one evening, after a few drinks, I was lectured at length by my South African friend, Natasha, on the mortal perils of visiting this dangerous city.  Essentially, the message went, I was risking life & limb if I decided to walk in, drive through, or think about Cape Town.  I was terrified. Keep in mind, we have lived in West Philadelphia.

You will be glad to know that we escaped unscathed, and while we practiced CONSTANT VIGILANCE, we never really felt in too much danger.  (However, after a wrong turn into a township around 10am one morning, I can understand why we were advised not to drive around at night without 100% certainty of where we were headed).  But on foot, we felt pretty secure, especially due to the presence of these: 

There was no one in here.


I'm pretty sure these "Mobile Crime Prevention Units" weren't around during the time Natasha lived in South Africa, or her opinion of the Cape Town's security would certainly be more positive.  Clearly they've made a difference! 

No comments: