Thursday, August 7, 2008

FISH

So I knew it had been awhile since I posted something, but I didn't realize it was over a week! Well, I guess that goes to show that we have fully settled in and nothing exciting happens anymore.

That is not true. However, there has been more day-to-day life happening in the past week so it's not quite as obvious. This week and last week, I didn't travel for work at all, which was very refreshing! Both weeks I've worked 4 days in the office and 1 day at home (looking forward to that day tomorrow!). Spending more than 3 nights in a row in the apartment has helped us get into a morning & dinner routine, which helps make things feel a bit more normal.

However, dinners have been interesting. One reason is that food seem to take forever to cook, especially in the oven. Including this fish:





Nice, huh? There's a farmer's market essentially right outside our apartment every weekend, and a fish truck that sits at the end of our block every day of the week! Unfortunately, its hours don't make it possible for us to buy fish during the week, so we gave it a shot over the weekend. The poor fish - and his brother - probably didn't deserve the gruesome end they got (mutilation by a first-time filleter). However I am once again grateful to the Joy of Cooking and its clear descriptions on how to do just about anything.

Other than the fish excitement, we made a lot of progress on the unpacking last weekend, and the bedrooms now both look like bedrooms rather than rented storage space. This also helps things feel more normal.

The travel picks up again starting tomorrow. We're off to Belgium for the weekend - looking forward to my first trip on the Eurostar train! I imagine Belgium to be a magical land of mussels, chocolate, waffles, and beer. I'll report in next week on how accurate my image is.

1 comment:

Julia said...

You are so brave with your fish adventures.... I have a question though... how does one pronounce "filleter"... phil-LAY-ter... PHIL-let-er... i'm puzzled by this...