Thursday, October 30, 2008

The British Language

Hi! We haven't taken any exotic trips lately, so I'm trying to figure out what about every day life might be interesting to write about.

What is on my mind are some of the differences in the use of the English language over here. I mean, it's their language and all, but it feels strange when it's used in a way that doesn't sound "normal". I don't have many examples top of mind, but the most noticeable to me is the difference in use of prepositions. For example: "What are you doing at the weekend?" "Don't leave luggage unattended on the station." There are many other examples but they're not coming to me right now.

Then, the inflection (not the accent) is curious. When someone's trying to make a point, like, really show you they mean it in an attempt to pursuade you, they make a statement that sounds like a question? But I'm not sure how to respond, because they're making a statement not asking a question! Usually I just say, "okay..." but I'm trying to figure out if it works in reverse and I can use that method of persuasion on the people most culpable?

There is also an odd habit of ending every single phone call on a high pitched "okay, bye!" As in, "Johnson, I must have those papers on my desk by 8am. **okay, bye!**" This is hard to describe in words. It seems like kind of a girly thing to do, but even the blokes do it. Speaking of which...

Words I'm getting used to: holiday (vs. vacation), flat (vs. apartment), mobile (vs. cell phone), beef mince (vs. ground beef), post code (vs. zip code), bin liner (vs. trash bag).

Words a bit odder to my ears: jumper (vs. sweater), plaster (vs. band-aid/bandage), partner (vs. girlfriend / boyfriend / husband / wife / fiance(e) / lover), chips + crisps (vs. fries + chips), mate (vs., well, not really sure what), zed (vs. z), rubbish (vs. trash). And "whilst", although every once in a while I kinda feel like writing it.

Cheers for now! Okay, bye!


1 comment:

Cam said...

Hi Jess and Oof. I loved reading your recent blogs. Especially enjoyed your political views and your british language translations. Only bad thing about this site is having to see Oof's ugly mug. Yikes!
Hey where was the turkey? Whats this chicken BS? I cant wait to see you guys on your 'holiday' out here. See you soon...whilst! Cam