Friday, October 31, 2008

The British Language, Part 2

Got a bit of feedback on some points I missed, so I thought I'd add them here. I'd say it's possible I missed them because I'm really adjusting and have already adopted, but that's not the case. In order of decreasing comfort:

1) "You alright?" instead of "what's up," "how's it going," etc. I found this very alarming for awhile. I sensed it implied that something seemed not alright, but it turns out, they're not expecting much more of an answer than "yeah, you?".

2) "Diary" Everyone at work has a diary. We do diary checks at our weekly group meetings. It's okay to look at someone else's diary. Because it's their freakin' calendar!

3) "Loo" ... this word is just funny. Everyone uses it but it feels so impolite I can't get used to it. You know me, queen of politeness.

Toodle pip!*

*I have never heard a real Briton say "toodle pip."

No comments: