Saturday, November 1, 2008

Absentee Voting


This morning, Jason & I filled in a couple ovals, walked to the Post Office in the rain, and mailed away our ballots to be counted in New York State. Even though, let's face it, 2 votes in New York is going to matter zilch, both of us believed we absolutely had to do it. After all, the Board of Elections spent $52 of your taxes to get the ballots to us. Although, I wonder, if they give that money to the USPS, does it really count as spending, or just re-shuffling?

I've been really nervous about voting in this election, and even though I've cast my ballot I still feel uncertain. But a lot of media and a bit of research and discussion with my hubby and I managed to make a decision I feel adequate about.

I have never been very politically-minded, or interested in political discussion, or extremely passionate about my views, but I usually have a decent idea of where I stand. This probably makes me similar to most American voters. But this year, it wasn't so clear. I laughed at Tina Fey but cringed at the truth in the portrayal. I admired the Democrat's marketing team but as a voter found some of their tactics cowardly and infuriating. Here are some other things that figured into my decision... some to a greater or lesser extent than others:

  • I believe we need change, and could do with a bit of hope.
  • I want the US to be more sustainably economically competitive globally.
  • I took economics, and I understand that while fair trade policies may disadvantage a few, it's best for the many.
  • I disagree with the government redistributing private wealth.
  • I believe the USA is founded on making the most of your opportunity. It may not be "fair" that not everyone gets the same opportunity, but that is not necessarily the idea.
  • I believe as a country we have a serious branding problem externally, and a growning one internally.
  • I like listening to Obama speak. He's confident and engaging, which is refreshing. I get nervous watching McCain, and although I firmly believe he is not Bush incarnate as Obama's camp would have you believe, I think 8 years of watching Bush has conditioned me to feel anxious.
  • I am not sure how severe the negative ramifications of not dealing with our declining brand equity would be.

There are a million other issues: healthcare, abortion, housing, borders. I don't purport to be an expert on any. But I believe my choice came down to:

- Stage-setting for a more sound economic future for the country, while extending the outsiders' view that we are backwards and shouldn't be allowed to run our own country,* to unknown detriment.

- A dramatic turn-around of the country's image, while using an imbalanced government to implement policies that could have damaging long-term effects.

So I made a choice. And I feel okay.

* On more than one occasion, I have had a European tell me that they think the international community should have a vote in our elections. They were being quite serious.

No comments: