Sunday, June 1, 2008

Jason's Off!

Flight It's Saturday morning and Jason is now en route to the UK. I brought him to the airport for an 8:30 flight and I can see that he's currently at 37000 feet traveling at 556 knots (the internet is an amazing thing).

Food We spent the last week gorging ourselves silly on all the food we'd miss in NYC: walked the Brooklyn Bridge for Grimaldi's pizza, and binged on East Village Italian, Nina's (our favorite neighborhood spot), Pio Pio delicious chicken, and porterhouse at Benjamin. It was fantastic but we're both feeling the after-effects. While we cook a lot of dinners at home (and when I say "we" I mean "Jason"), one of the highlights of New York is of course the restaurants. We will likely never live in another place that offers as much gastronomic variety.

Final Day Many folks have asked us what we were going to do for Jason's last day in the city. Now that it's come and gone I can say that it was a fairly normal day other than his pending departure looming overhead. He talked with some Long Beach friends & his dad, we played some Wii, watched the Dodgers, and made tacos. It might have seemed anticlimactic, but anything more would have been stressful.

Frozen Yesterday I discovered the top tier of our wedding cake in our freezer (on our roughly 1 year 49 weeks anniversary). Given it was 80 degrees outside and in, we decided to leave it on the counter and check it out after dinner (about 6 hours later). We weren't hungry but gave it a try anyway. It was surprisingly delicious, though we only had a few bites. I was very glad that Jason was still here when I remembered the cake, but this small event made me overwhelmingly sad. I'm still trying to figure out why; I think it's premature nostalgia for this significant period in our lives that is coming to a close.

For Now... I am back in our little apartment, trying to sell the rest of the furniture and figure out how to make the most of the next 4 weeks, which are sure to fly by!

No comments: